Beginner’s Guide to Keto Diet
The ketogenic is a low-carb/ high-fat diet. The keto diet focuses on the reduction of carbohydrate intake, which is substituted with fat. One major benefit of the ketogenic diet is the decrease in the protein pancreatic hormone level (insulin) and blood sugar in the body. It is vital to note that the amount of carbohydrate in the body shouldn’t exceed 30 grams daily. Reducing carbs intake allows the body to produce ketone out of the fat in the body, which serves as an energy replacement or replacement for carbohydrates.
The ketogenic diet can be observed in different forms. Different individuals stick to different versions of the diet. They are;
Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD)
This diet involves ingesting just 5% Carbohydrate into the body. The remaining 95% is shared among fat (75%) and protein (20%). Although there are other versions of keto dieting, this is the most studied, accepted, and recommended.
Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD)
The TKD is more like the regular ketogenic dieting, but with the objection of consuming carbohydrates around workout periods. It implies that carbs must be consumed whenever exercise is done. With this diet routine, beginners can still carry out intensive activities without being out of ketone for a long time.
Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD)
Out of the seven days in a week, five or six days is devoted to sticking with the ketogenic diet (i.e., low-carb, high fats, and moderate protein intake) and the other two or one day(s) is allocated to high-carbohydrate intake.
High-Protein Ketogenic Diet
This keto diet follows similar procedures like the standard ketogenic diet but with a little twist. The menu requires more protein and reduced fat content from that of SKD. It follows the 35% protein, 60% fat, and the carbohydrate remains at 5%. Due to its similarity to the standard ketogenic dieting, scientists and observers have also studied it intensely.
The diet and its benefits
Adopting the keto diet lifestyle has a lot of benefits and some of them are:
Treatment for Neurological Diseases
Keto diet has been known to help reduce seizures in epileptic people. It has also been widely used for cancerous patients to slow the growth rate of their tumors. Other neurological diseases such as heart and Alzheimer’s disease can be improved and slowed respectively using the ketogenic diet.
Treatment for Diabetes
Diabetes is known to be caused by high blood sugar and inadequate protein pancreatic hormone levels. As stated earlier, the ketogenic diet aids in the reduction of blood sugar in the body. It implies that with a drafted guide of ketogenic dieting, diabetic patients can see a significant improvement in their health.
Today, the majority of people intend to keep a fit body. Too much weight can be endangering to health. One of the great ways to lose weight is by embarking on a ketogenic diet. The ketogenic diet has been recommended over low-fat dieting in achieving weight loss. Its support for increased intake in protein (which possesses various benefits for the body) makes it more preferred to the low-fat diet.
What and what not to eat
Eggs, oils (such as coconut and avocado), low-carbohydrate and non-starchy vegetables, meat, organic chicken, ghee, etc. are tasty ketogenic diet meals. A high portion of fruits should be ignored except berries. Also, sugary foods and diet products shouldn’t be consumed. It is vital to keep a sugar-free diet when embarking on this journey. Alcohol contains a lot of carbohydrates and so it must be avoided.
What you should also know
It is important to note that before embarking on the ketogenic diet, one must be prepared for the possible side effects such as the “keto flu.” Keto flu is known to occur in the first few days. You tend to feel sluggish at this stage due to the change the body must pass through from switching to a new source of energy. The best way to beat this is to load up on a lot of water and ensuring extra body rest. Also, a change in breath from the mouth occurs during the early stages of the keto diet. The breath is always terrible at the initial stage(s).
One effective way to stay healthy and fit is the ketogenic diet. It doesn’t change how your kitchen fridge looks, all it takes is taking out the carbohydrates. It is advisable to follow it then the generally chosen low-fat diet. It is a diet not just for the healthy but also for the sick. If you’re looking to lose that weight, protect your heart, stay healthy, live longer, and better, a ketogenic diet is your answer.